If you are parents of a newborn baby then you want to know about how to feed a newborn then, in this article, we give you advice about How to feed a newborn baby?
Feeding your newborn baby is such a challenging and vital part of early parenthood that it is no wonder we want to get it right. It is a natural process. An experienced parent will find it much easier to handle a second child as compared to a new parent. But that does not mean it is easy for first- time parents.
Here is the important information you need on how to feed a newborn baby. These steps on how to feed a newborn baby with breastfeeding and bottle feeding can help you know what is right for you and your newborn baby.
What Will I Learn?
How to Feed a Newborn with Breast?
Breastfeeding is a natural thing and has many benefits for you and your newborn baby. Breast milk provides nutrition for babies. It contains vitamins, protein, and fat everything your newborn baby needs to grow. Breast milk has antibodies that help protect your baby’s fight against viruses, infections, bacteria, and boost your baby’s immune system.
Breastfeeding helps make time for you and form a strong bond with your newborn baby. Women who breastfeed have lower risks of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Breastfeeding can assist you to lose weight faster.
Breastfeeding can have many positive effects on both you and your newborn baby. However, it does not come as easy for every mother. Here are steps on how to feed a newborn with breasts. These steps can help you ease into breastfeeding.
- Wash your hands before feeding.
- Provide skin-to-skin contact for your baby after birth
- Arm Yourself With the Right Nursing Supplies.
- Position the baby on her side so baby is directly facing you.
- Place your thumb and figures around your areola
- Hold your baby against your stomach within easy reach of your breasts.
- Urge your baby to latch on by providing your nipple.
- Touch your baby’s lips with your nipple until your baby opens their mouth wide.
- Check to see if your newborn baby is attached properly.
- Watch and hear confirm your baby is getting fluid
- Breastfeed from both breasts equally.
- Expect feedings to take 25-30 minutes each time
- If one breast is empty then offering other breast.
Different Breastfeeding Positions:
Here are 4 simplest ways to cradle your baby while breastfeeding.
- Cradle hold
- Cross-cradle hold
- The Football hold.
- Side-lying position.
How to Feed a Newborn with a Bottle?
Feeding your newborn baby is a great time for bonding with them. When it comes to feeding our baby and sometimes breastfeeding mothers need a break from being the only means to feed then you choose to feed with a bottle.
Here are some steps on How to feed a newborn with a bottle?
Preparing the Bottle:
- Start with a slow-flow nipple when your newborn baby is very small
- Sterilize the bottle and nipple daily
- Wash your hands before mixing
- Mix your formula powder ensuring there is no clump that can get suck in the nipple.
- Warm up the bottle if your newborn baby prefers it that way.
- Check the temperature of your milk or formula on your arm.
Feeding Your Baby:
- Feed your newborn baby when they show hunger cues
- Always hold your baby while feeding him/her.
- Hold your baby in an upright position and feed them.
- Place the nipple against your baby’s lower lip and encourage them to suck the nipple against their mouth.
- Allow your newborn baby to draw the nipple into their mouth and suck.
- Look into your baby’s eyes.
- Cuddle your baby or talk to them while feeding.
- Check the nipple throughout the feeding to confirm it stays full
- Throw away milk from each feeding after 1 hour.
Burping you’re Baby:
Burp your baby both during feedings and after the baby has finished the bottle. Here are the few tips on how to burp your baby?
- Sit upright and hold your newborn against your chest.
- Over the shoulder burping.
- Lay your baby on tour lap and rub their back.
- Resume feeding after a couple of minutes even if your baby does not burp.
In this article, we gave you steps about How to feed your newborn baby? So, we conclude that breastfeeding has many benefits for moms and newborn babies. It helps baby with developing their immune system, and also save parents a lot of money.
Hope so this article is helpful for you. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your baby’s feedings, then comment on the article.